Posting and Replying to a Discussion Forum
Posting to a Discussion Forum
- Select the discussion forum on our class page. It is designated by two speech bubbles. There are multiple styles of forums. The most traditional forum will ask you to “add a new discussion topic” in response to a question posed by your instructor. Beneath this icon you will see a list of posts by classmates.
- To start your response, select the “add a new discussion topic” button.
- You will be brought to your submission page. You must provide a subject and message to your post. The subject can be the name of the discussion forum, your name, or even something to suggest what you have written in your post. Check your forum instructions for post format by your instructor.
- After composing your subject and message, you have two additional options before submitting. You have the ability to subscribe to notifications for the forum. If you do not want updates, you will need to uncheck this box. Secondly, you have the ability to attach a file to your forum post. This could include a document, image, short video, or even a podcast. **Please note – the maximum file size for any uploads in Moodle is 64MB. If your file is larger, you will need to upload to a sharing system and provide a URL to access the file in your original post.**
- Once you have verified your submission is correct, select “post to forum.”
- Once posting, you will have 30 minutes to make any corrections to your post. This includes modifying the message, correcting typos, or even adding/deleting attachments. Once the 30 minutes has passed, you will no longer be able to update your post.
- To edit, select the name of your post. On the far right hand side, you will see the option to edit, delete, or reply. Selecting edit will bring you back to the previous screen so that you are able to make adjustments. Once completed, select save changes.
Replying to a Discussion Forum
- To reply to a post on a forum, select the discussion topic of a classmate.
- Once reading your classmates’ post, select reply on the far right hand side.
- This will open the reply page – Add your response in the message area on this page. Once again, you have the option to subscribe to posts made to this particular forum as well as the option to add attachments. When you are ready to submit, select “post to forum”. You also have 30 minutes to make adjustments to this post before it locks out editing options.
Did you find this article helpful?